Lighter Chicken Taco Recipe (credits to bbcgoodfood.com)
We love this healthy Chicken Taco recipe, why not try it out this week? Tasty, healthy and guaranteed to keep the whole family happy!
For the chicken:
2 tsp rapeseed oil1 tsp ground cumin1 tsp smoked paprika450g skinless chicken breasts
For the salsa:
4 medium tomatoes, halved1 red pepper, quartered1 small red onion, roughly chopped¼ tsp rapeseed oil2 tsp lime juice¼ tsp ground cumingood pinch of chilli flakes
For the guacamole:
2 medium-sized ripe avocados, roughly chopped4 tsp lime juice2 spring onions, ends trimmed, finely chopped3 tbsp chopped coriandergood pinch of chilli flakes
8 corn tacos shells
8 tsp 0% Greek yogurt
2 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
lime wedges, for squeezing over
1. Mix the oil, paprika and chilli on a plate. Rub over the chicken. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt, then cover and set aside.
2. Pre-heat the grill. Meanwhile, line a large baking tray with foil and lay the tomatoes (cut-side up) on it, along with the pepper and red onion. Brush the oil over the onion, and season the tomatoes and onion with pepper. Grill for 12-15 mins, turning the tomatoes and onion halfway through, until well charred. Remove and set aside to cool - put the pepper in a bowl and cover with cling film so that it's easier to skin later.
3. For the guacamole, put the avocado in a bowl and briefly mash with a fork, leaving some chunky pieces for texture. Gently mix in the lime juice, spring onions, coriander and chilli flakes. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
4. Re-line the baking tray with foil and lay the chicken on it. Grill for about 10 mins until cooked - there is no need to turn it. Meanwhile, scoop out and discard as much of the seeds and juice from the tomatoes as you can (so the salsa isn't too wet), leaving the pulp and charred skin. When the pepper is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the skin. Chop the tomatoes and onion, and dice the pepper. Combine in a bowl with the lime juice, cumin, chilli flakes, some pepper and a pinch of salt.
5. When the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill, cover loosely with foil and set aside for 5 mins. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut the chicken into chunky slices and spoon over the juices. When ready to serve, lay the taco shells on a baking sheet and warm through for 2-3 mins. Serve the chicken, taco shells, yogurt, lettuce, coriander and lime wedges in separate bowls, so that everyone can build their own tacos.
For more delicious family-friendly recipes head over to bbcgoodfood.com